Kentuckians connecting with their newest neighbors during the COVID-19 crisis
As Kentucky commits to flattening the curve through staying healthy at home and social distancing, we are all creating adaptive ways to stay connected and to support each other. Both KRM Lexington and Louisville offices are launching a new engagement program called Welcome from Home so that community members can continue to welcome and support our newest neighbors.
As an agency, KRM staff continue to serve and journey with families through this pandemic. Although in-person programming has been suspended and most case management functions are handled remotely, families are receiving help to address critical needs such as unemployment insurance, online learning, immigration legal services, and urgent healthcare access. KRM has also been distributing needed food and home supplies to refugee families. To supplement this work, you can offer families simple acts of connection and any financial support you can offer.
We invite you to become a Welcome from Home team with others in our community. Join together with family, friends, business partners, or those in your faith or civic groups.
Ways that Welcome from Home teams can offer support to refugees and immigrants:
- Check on the well-being of a family
- Donate to the help a family with rent/utility assistance or household supplies
- Order groceries or a meal for the family
- Call or video chat with the family, make kid connections, practice English, and/or help pay for entertainment and educational activities
Hear more about the program in this recent story from ABC 36 News in Lexington:
- View, complete, and submit the Welcome from Home Commitment Form.
- All adults over 18 will be required to submit a background check. If you have had a background check or would like to start this process, view these Background Check options.
- Attend a virtual orientation. You may attend this before or after submitting the form above. This orientation will outline expectations, healthy relationships, KRM responsibilities, and timelines. Your team will receive a specific KRM point of contact who can answer questions and offer guidance. If you are a current or former co-sponsor team, KRM will adapt your orientation based on your prior experiences.
- After orientation, you will receive a family match for your Welcome From Home team. The duration and timeline for your commitment is up to your team and your family match.
Questions? Contact us or include your questions in your email when you submit your form, and we will do our best to answer them for you. Please note: this program does not replace the co-sponsorship program. If you are a former or current co-sponsor and would like to get involved or if you have questions, please let us know.