You can make Kentucky home for refugees.
Give to our annual campaign today.
Soon after arriving in Kentucky, eligible refugee clients are enrolled in required classes for English as a Second Language (ESL) and Cultural Orientation. Through these programs, new Kentuckians receive ongoing language guidance and community support.
English as a Second Language
Both KRM Louisville and Lexington offer English classes for KRM’s refugee clients on-site. KRM assesses new students and places them in a language class appropriate to their level. The curriculum includes practical, job-related English to help refugees thrive in their new surroundings. Through the ESL program, we seek to be part of a greater support system for refugees in Kentucky and to provide them with language that will be an asset for the remainder of their time in the United States.
KRM Louisville offers ESL classes to eligible clients Monday-Friday from 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
KRM Lexington offers ESL classes to eligible clients at KRM and at a local partner organization, Central Christian Church, Monday-Thursday from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Both KRM Louisville and Lexington offer weekly Cultural Orientations classes to support refugees in their transition to the United States. Both KRM staff and community partners present, following Center for Applied Linguistics curriculum:
- Mental / Physical Health and Well-Being
- Family Roles and Healthy Relationships
- Education and ESL Opportunities
- Cultural Adjustment
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
- Dental Hygiene
- Domestic Violence
- The Green Card and Citizenship Process
- Fire Safety
- The Police and the Community
- Using the Library
- Banking and Finances
- Housing Rights and Responsibilities
- All about Louisville/Lexington
Cultural Orientation Community Partners
Thank you to the following community partners for presenting at KRM’s Cultural Orientations:
- Family Health Centers
- Passport Health Plan
- Louisville Free Public Library
- Louisville Fire Dept.
- Louisville Metro Police Department
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Project Warm
- Center for Women and Families
- Kentucky Equal Justice Center
- Planned Parenthood
- Legal Aid Society
- UFCW Local 227
- Jefferson County Public Schools
- PNC Bank
- University of Louisville
- BB&T Bank
- Jefferson Community and Technical College
- Lexington Public Library
- Fayette County Schools
- Bluegrass Community and Technical College
- Lexington Police Department
- Lexington Fire Department
- BB&T Bank
- United Way
- The Nest Center for Women, Children, and Families
- Crossroads Counseling
- Salvation Army Clinic
- Food Chain
- Share Clinic
- Mission Lexington
- Glean KY (along with Lucky’s Market)
To contact KRM’s ESL and Cultural Orientation program staff, please see the staff page.