Art can inspire various reactions. Art can make you feel uplifted and grounded, healed and heartbroken. At KRM, we also believe that art can make you feel at home. And that is our mission together: to welcome and serve refugees and immigrants in order to help make Kentucky home.
With support from Fund for the Arts, Louisville Metro Government External Agency Fund and individual donors throughout our community, KRM has begun to showcase art created in the Art Makes Home project.
When we set out to launch this project earlier this year, KRM hoped to showcase art in 30+ traditional and nontraditional venues. Now, artists and their art have adapted to the realities of the COVID-19 pandemic. Exhibitions will look a little different, but you will still be able to appreciate and experience community art. We can’t wait to share what these amazing artists are creating! Stay tuned for announcements with more details.
As we continue to mark KRM’s 30th anniversary, we hope the art from Art Makes Home inspires you in your journey to build a more welcoming home in Kentucky, too.
current installations in our community:
- Red Hog, 2622 Frankfort Ave, Louisville, KY 40206
- Smoketown Collective, 900 S. Shelby St, Louisville, KY 40203
- University of Louisville Bridwell Art Library, 2301 South 3rd Street, Schneider Hall, Louisville, KY 40292
- Stay tuned for more!
Thank you to the artists who are participating in Art Makes Home:
- Anita Chavez
- Callie Wright
- Farzana Ahmady
- Gloria Bogert
- Luis de Leon
- Marlesha Woods – IG: @marleshart
- Kenny Fresh – FB / IG: @refresherpoint
- Morgan McGill
- Olivia Marcum – @oliviamarcum_art
- Stephanie Lee
- Susan Brooks – FB: @susanbrooksart / IG: @sebrooks81.
- Yunier Ramirez – IG: @rcstudio80
- Amberly Simpson & Ambo Dance
- Ashley Thursby Kern
- Ramona Leyva
- Jared Zarantonello, Rhythm Science Sound
- Emily Ridings
- Janelle Wilhelm
- Huda Aldayyeni
- Sarah Stout
And, when it is safe to do so, we look forward to sharing art from Deva North, Melinda Beck, and Zach Bramel, too.
Join the conversation on social media with #ArtMakesHome.